Music used to be prominent in my life: I would search for new artists, listen for deeper meaning in my existing music, and partake in my most time-consuming musical activity: playlist-making. Not just any playlists, but expressive playlists that I obsessively rearranged to convey just the right ideas an emotions while flowing seamlessly together, with appropriate gradations of themes or abrupt changes to grab attention. But, as with many other things I used to do, I don't really make meticulous playlists anymore. I do, however, still listen to music. And these are a few songs that have been influencing me as of late.
On the right day, this song moves me to tears. Although most things prompt tears these days, these are deeper ones, that seep into my soul and shake me to the core. Every time I listen to it, I'm changed bit by bit, and gradually I've come to a conclusion: you can only wait so long. There's so much I could say about what this song is saying, but this is the most pressing matter, in my mind. The question is: How long will you wait before you look the truth in the face and accept that you don't let life happen, you make life happen?
I love love love Modest Mouse, so that alone is enough to influence me. However, this song is surprisingly optimistic, with its chants of "should have been, could have been worse than you would ever know." And as anyone could tell you, I sure as hell need a dose of that.
Not so much the lyrics in this one, but the overall feel is...indescribable. It's inspiring and triumphant and epiphany-inducing. I'm addicted to it.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Hark!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment